<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 26, 2004

FOR GOD'S SAKE, PUT DC COMICS OUT OF ITS MISERY ALREADY

I have virtually no aesthetic interest in "mainstream" comic books, but I'll admit to a certain detached fascination with the industry. (Not entirely detached, since alternative comics are still dependent for their survival upon the direct sales market, which is dependent upon superheroes.) So I found this analysis of DC's month-to-month sales over the past year (via The Hurting interesting in a gruesome sort of way. Only four of DC's titles have regular circulations of over 50,000? That's beyond pathetic. (I realize that ICV2's figures, used here, are open to question, but even if they were 20% too low, it would make little difference to the big picture.) If I were DC's publisher, I'd be lying awake nights terrified that my corporate bosses at AOL-Time-Warner would one day ask themselves: "We're a billion-dollar corporation. Why are we wasting our time and resources on chickenshit like this?"

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?