<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 18, 2004

OVERRATED ROCK

A few days ago I wrote how these days I make it a point to buy something whenever I'm in a store that I'd hate to see close. One of the items I bought recently pursuant to this policy was Chunklet #18. Normally, I wouldn't have bought this; and after reading it I'd have to say that for me it wasn't worth the seven bucks it cost (I might feel differently if I had any acquaintance with the contemporary rock scene it satirizes). But still there was some amusing stuff in it.

In the issue there's a poll (presumably conducted online, though no information is given), of the most overrated pre-1991 records. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is number one by a large margin, which isn't too surprising; number four is Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, which does surprise me. Number ten is Kiss's Destroyer, which surprises me because I hadn't realized it was "rated": I was around when Kiss was big, and critics then unanimously regarded them as a joke.Who's Next, which I had called overrated here a while ago, is on the list, but only at twenty-four, with an insignificant number of votes compared to the top five. Accompanying the poll results, there are twelve pages of comments, presumably from voters in the poll, which are fun reading and contain some zingers, even if you don't agree with them (which I emphatically don't about Never Mind the Bollocks). (As I was typing this, it occurred to me that maybe the people at Chunklet simply made up the "poll results" and wrote the comments themselves. If so, they got me.)

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?