<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 22, 2004

TWO LINKS OF INTEREST

Tim O'Neil, in his blog The Hurting (see sidebar), has an ongoing series of posts analyzing Chester Brown's graphic novel Louis Riel. In the latest installment (under Aug. 20), he makes a start at answering the question of what makes the book good. I didn't read Louis Riel when it came out as a series, partly because when I looked at it in the store it didn't appeal to me, and partly because I was still pissed off over having spent thirty bucks on ten issues of Underwater which will forever remain unfinished and mostly incomprehensible; but O'Neil's analysis, combined with the excerpt in McSweeney's #13, made me want to give it a try. (I'm still not ready to buy it in hardcover, though.)

While tracing back a search which led somebody to this blog, I stumbled upon AniPages Daily, a weblog devoted to anime considered as an art rather than entertainment, by someone who really knows what he's talking about. The emphasis is on the animation itself: instead of, say, discussions of the themes in Miyazaki's work, you'll find filmographies of notable animators. Most of the works he discusses are unavailable in the U.S., and the names he talks about are likely to be unfamiliar here (where animators per se, as opposed to directors, tend to be ignored), but it's a very interesting and informative site, which looks at anime from a perspective that most people (including me) probably haven't encountered before.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?