<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 24, 2004

WRITING REVIEWS

I just sent off the last of several comic reviews I'd promised magazine editors I'd do. I don't think I'm cut out to be a reviewer: the amount of time and energy I spend agonizing over an "official" review, even a very brief one, is way out of proportion to the value of the end result. And writing reviews doesn't seem to be useful to me as practice for writing in general, as I'd hoped it would be; nor does it help me clarify my ideas about aesthetics. Of course, to have my writing validated by a real live editor is gratifying (as is the money, when I'm writing for a magazine that pays), but these alone aren't sufficient compensation for the enormous drain on my energy.

In any case, with those reviews out of the way, I may be writing here more frequently, though I'm not making any promises.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?