<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 19, 2004

AGAINST STONE-FACED COMIC BOOKS

I checked Jason's Tell Me Something out of the library a couple months ago, and I finally got around to reading it. (Inconsiderate of me, I know.) As I was reading, I realized that I didn't like Jason's stone-faced anthropomorphic birds and dogs. And I don't much care for stone-faced characters in other alternative comics, for that matter. One of the things I like most about manga is that its characters' emotions are displayed on their faces. This is one of the things comics are good at; and unless the cartoonist wants to make the point that his characters are repressed (as with Ware), I don't see why s/he would want to throw this away. (Perhaps it's an overreaction to contemporary superhero comics, where the characters display "emotion" mainly by grimacing, at least in my limited experience of them.)

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?