<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 21, 2004

I HAVE MADE A VERY BIG DECISION

Not to "nullify my life" (I'll refrain from making any of the obvious Bush-re-election jokes here), but to get rid of my Derek Bailey records.

I never actually liked Bailey's music that much, or understood it for that matter, but I bought it because a lot of people kept saying how great it was, and so I hoped that if I listened to it enough I would come to understand and enjoy it. But that never happened. And, having just passed my forty-seventh birthday, it's long past time for me to have confidence in my own tastes, rather than seeking validation from others. (I've been trying to do this for a while, actually, but it's not easy.) So I'm going to sell my Bailey records, to allow them to get into the hands of people who might actually enjoy them.

I did the same thing with my Anthony Braxton records, of which I had a ton, about a year ago. I'd listened to them more, so it was easier to come to the conclusion that I'd got everything out of them I was going to get.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?