<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 02, 2005

MANHWA CORNER: SOUL TO SEOUL

A couple days ago I sent off a review I've been working for a long time. I have three other reviews to do, but the one I just finished was particularly troublesome. So I should be able to post more now (knock wood).

Soul to Seoul is a manhwa by Kim Jea Eun, published by Tokyopop, about Korean-Americans and Koreans living in New York City. The first volume, which I checked out of the library, looked somewhat intriguing at first glance, but turned out to be pure soap opera, and didn't interest me at all. I'd intended to leave it at that; but I glanced at the back cover of the second volume, and it revealed a plot twist which was completely out of left field (at least it felt like that to me). So when I saw that volume at the library, I picked it up out of curiosity. It turned out to be a bizarre mixture of gangster drama and high school romance, played dead seriously; but at least it's more interesting than the first volume. The art is good, too, though not outstandingly so. I don't intend to buy the third volume, but if the library gets it in I'll read it just to see what happens.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?