<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 10, 2005

FRUITS BASKET VOL. 7 TRANSLATION NOTE ADDENDUM

Lying in bed last night, I realized that in my previous post I'd overlooked something. I had written that Shigure's remark "Suki ni sureba ii" should be translated as "We can do as we please." In fact, the Japanese sentence does not say "we": the reader must determine from the context who Shigure is talking about. (In Japanese, this is perfectly grammatical and ordinary.) And while it might be "we," as I had written (as had Tokyopop's translators), given the context it's more likely to be "I". So a better translation would probably be something like "I can do whatever I want."

(I also just noticed, to my embarrassment, that I had twice written "Shigeru" instead of "Shigure." I've fixed it now.)

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?