<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 21, 2005

COMICS CORNER: TWO QUICKIES

Brief, uncensored snap judgments on two graphic novels.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The story is cutesy. The art is like Paul Pope's, but not as good. I had no reason to care what happened to any of the characters. I don't understand why everyone thinks this book is so wonderful. But then, I find myself feeling that way about most critical favorites (as long-term readers of this blog will be aware).

Mark of the Succubus: This is one of Tokyopop's "OEL (original English-language) manga": i.e., a comic or graphic novel created by English-speaking creators and first published in the West, but done in a supposedly "manga style." As such, it's the first "OEL manga" I've seen whose art could actually pass for manga. Unfortunately, the story is a tedious compilation of cliches.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?