<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 20, 2007

TWO BRIEF NOTES ON FREE IMPROVISATION AND TRANSLATIONS, RESPECTIVELY

About two weeks ago, I was handed a large chunk of work with a fairly tight deadline. As a result, I've had to pretty much withdraw from active participation on the Web, which is why I bowed out of the conversations between me and the translators of Fruits Basket below and on their live journal, and also why I haven't finished the second part of my translation notes on Fruits Basket vol. 1. I'm not completely out of the woods yet, but I do have a momentary breather, enough to allow me to post two brief items.

For free improvisation fans: two years ago I wrote in glowing terms of a live performance by Tatsuya Nakatani, Michel Doneda, and Jack Wright I had just seen. Tonight they will be playing again in C-U, at the Krannert Art Museum, 500 E. Peabody Dr., Champaign IL (same place as last time), starting at 7:30 PM. It's free, so if you're interested in free improvisation, or if you find my description intriguing, by all means come. If you don't live in C-U, they will be playing further dates in Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia and Brooklyn. You can find more information about the trio, now dubbing themselves the From Between Trio, here, including details about the tour and an audio sample.

And for manga readers, this brief discussion of translations of Jules Verne reminds us that when it comes to translations, we could have it a lot worse.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?