<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 17, 2009

THE VELVET UNDERGROUND: AN EMBARRASSING UPDATE

It's embarrassing to have to admit, but when I wrote that Coyote "would be a standout [track] on Loaded," it had slipped my mind that Sweet Jane and Rock and Roll were on Loaded.

I do have mitigating circumstances to plead, though. I first heard Sweet Jane and Rock and Roll on 1969, and listened to that album many times before hearing the studio versions on Loaded. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing Loaded until the Fully Loaded two-CD set was released, which would have been over a decade after I heard 1969. So to me, the versions on 1969 were the real versions, and I associated the songs with that album rather than with Loaded. (In fact, I still prefer Sweet Jane without the "heavenly wine and roses" bit.)

Coyote isn't as good as either of those two songs, so instead of being a "standout," I'd have to say merely that it could hold its own on Loaded.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?